Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Conference with Kids

I've always LOVED conference.  Growing up we had to go to the church and we lived far enough away we went and stayed all day, had a fun pizza picnic lunch in between sessions on Saturday (and usually a bag of Easter candy). As I've grown up, my love for conference hasn't changed, but everything else has.  I've had challenges adapting to: 
1. watching it at home. 
2. Creating our own family traditions. 
3. Changing those traditions as we change time zones drastically. 
4. Not yelling at my children to keep it quiet-ish so I can hear....(Yes, there are all sorts of things wrong with that pictures. 
5. Not getting frustrated that I miss ALOT of live conference.  I love that all the talks are in my fingertips hours/days after, but there is just something about the live experience of conference. 

As I try different things, some things work, some things don't.  This year by the end of conference I had lots of realizations about time and seasons and I took a serious chill pill. 

Before

 After...yes, that is the dog scrounging for scraps

We did something new as a family that I really enjoyed and can already see how it will adapt as they get bigger.  I've always had questions for conference, but I wanted my kids to see how conference truly is personal revelation.  We came up with a question together as a family. It was so fun to see the kids hear their question answered not only once, but in two different talks/sessions. I hope even through all the crazy, my kids gain a love of and testimony of General Conference....glad I have LOTS more chances to try. :)

No comments: