Sunday, August 7, 2016

Mommy Dates

I was noticing everything I did was a "group effort."  I was always saying "Everybody come...", everybody get jammies on, everybody help clean, everybody come read stories etc.  As that was happening behavior was going down.  Kids need a little one on one time.  So I have started Mommy dates (among other tips and tricks I'm trying that are helping a lot).  They are totally sporadic when they happen, but the kid gets to chose the activity (within reason).  I get a babysitter for everyone else and we do something fun together.  

Last week was Luke.  He chose Del Taco for lunch and then Chuck E. Cheese for some fun. These smiles make me laugh.  He was SO happy and SO excited.  He definitely needed some extra love this week.  




In June, Isabelle and I went to a play.  We went and saw Jane Eyre.  One of  my little sister's college roomates played Jane Eyre. She did a fantastic job and the whole play was so great!  We both really enjoyed it and she is super excited to be my theater buddy.  Don't be surprised if this is our "thing" for dates. 

In May, Michael started off our Mommy Date tradition.  He wanted to go to Wal-Mart to spend his money and go to McDonalds for dinner. He bought some window markers and a minion stuffed animal.  He also needed a new helmet so I footed that bill.  I didn't do any other shopping, just focused on him.   



I have really really enjoyed doing this with my kids! Spending good focused time with each kid has spread into our home life too.  It's been a change for the better around here. My goal is about 1 kid a month, but obviously that won't always happen.  And I haven't decided when Spencer's will start. They are each already planning their next dates. 

No comments: