Tuesday, December 20, 2011

"Ginger"


The yearly treat finally got done yesterday.  I love making our gingerbread house.  Isabelle kept calling it just plain ginger.  "Is it time to make the ginger yet?"  This year, I've had a rough time getting my act together.  Turns out I'm having thyroid craziness.  We'll get it figured out, but in the meantime, that means making the most of the few days I've been feeling normal.  It took me 4 days to get the gingerbread dough made, cooked, and then decorated.... impressively horrible, I know.  Not to mention I bought the rest of the candy I needed 2 weeks ago.  So Isabelle has been excitedly asking for 2 weeks for the ginger.  I'm glad we got to do it, I was feeling ok and we had a good time.  Turns out, it's a good thing we didn't do it earlier.  Just this morning, Michael has devoured a big chunk of the candy from off the house.

Cheeks full of candy for a pose as we work.


The final product...While Michael picks it apart as fast as his little hands can.




I LOVE traditions.  This is one of my favorites from growing up.  We always got together with the girls of our best friend family, the Smiths, the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Us ladies had a blast munching and chatting.  Just as much candy made it in our tummies as on our houses.  Then our family would blow ours up on New Year's with an impressive amount of firepower from the boys.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Meredith said...

This looks like a lot of fun! And a lot of work. I bet your kids loved it.