Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Changes!



We've made a few changes around here. I finally have my act together and am mean mom with TV time again (so many things slide when you have a baby). The kids were watching way too much tv and it was affecting behavior. They get to watch one show after the living room is cleaned while I make dinner. They come unload the dishwasher and help set the table and do whatever else I need them to do, and then they can start another one until dinner is ready. The rest of the day, imaginations have run wild again. I LOVE IT! The other day they used the baby changing thing as a boat. They had "paddles" and were trying to stay away from the "waterfall" and kept getting things for their boat. It makes me happy to play and watch my kids pretend.

Another change I've made is my behavior. I'm loud. We all know this. I'm even louder when the kids aren't obeying and found myself yelling lots. Isabelle had begun to copy my behavior and it was not ok. How is it not ok for her to do it but it is ok for me to? I realized I needed to make some changes. So we are on week 2 and I haven't yelled. It's making a difference. I can't believe how calm and collected I have been in this experiment. I'm not a crazy person. I haven't lost my temper at the kids and have just enjoyed them so much more.

My perspective has also changed on what's important in general and I have felt a huge weight has been lifted. With 3 little kids, I realized I just can't do it all, nor should I. Priorities are falling into place and it's great.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Becca said...

yay good for you! I will follow your example on the yelling. I have been bad at that lately and I don't even HAVE a 3rd child. haha. also the TV dealio - great idea. I will follow that as well.

you are a great mama. thanks for being a great example. loves.

Natalie said...

Reading this made me realize what a screamer I am. I may not get around to blogging (though I'm still holding out hope ... however small that may be) but I think I'll see if I can follow in your steps and take the volume down. Wish me luck!