Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bed...Who Needs A Bed?



We've made the toddler bed transition. I wanted to have plenty of time before the baby came so we could go at Isabelle's pace. The first night I set it up and she jumped in and squealed in excitement. I tucked her in and left and nothing. I closed the door thinking, "That was too easy." And then 45 seconds later the shriek came. She's not much of a screamer, but man it was the most scared cry I had ever heard. I went back in to console her and I let her choose which bed and she chose her crib. I was going to let her choose for about 2 weeks and if she still preferred the crib, then I would take it down. After 3 nights of choosing the crib, the next day for nap she chose the toddler bed and she's been "in" it ever since.

Most nights I go in to put her back in her bed because she's somewhere on the floor in her room, but after 2 1/2 weeks, she's now starting to be in her bed when I go in and check on her. I can't believe how big she is!

The unfortunate event that comes along with this is she has figured out door knobs. Amazingly, however, she won't come out of her room until after she has slept. Naps and bedtime, she'll kick on the door or play, but never come out. Then when she wakes up she comes and finds me. I'm enjoying it while it lasts, I'm sure it won't be long before she realizes she can come out before she sleeps. She also hasn't started opening other doors in the house, ie pantry, bathrooms etc. Door knob covers are on the shopping list so I'm ready for the day that my life will change once again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sydney is doing the same thing (not opening the door unless she has slept). I wanted Sydney and Nick to share a room, but she has also learned how to climb INTO the crib. I guess he will stay in the computer a while longer...

Camille said...

How cute is that - I can't believe how well she does staying in her room and actually falling asleep. I am too scared of what might happen if we put Sydney in a bed. We are waiting as long as possible.
Congrats!

Nicole said...

I'm still too scared to put Mary in a bed. She still sleeps in the crib. Doorknobs were an unfortunate discovery for her, but they have to learn sometime, right?

John said...

Ruth did that. She did not leave her room until after she had slept until Kate was out of her crib and taught Ruth otherwise. It is a nice thing. I think we should see you soon????

Liz Robertson said...

aw, julie, I love the bed stories! love the blog! what a darling girl.