Saturday, August 29, 2009

BUG! BIG!



So Isabelle and I were at Wal-Mart on Monday. It was a normal shopping trip until the excitement at the check out stand. All of a sudden out of no where a HUGE praying mantis was on our cart. It was on the top outside of our basket a bit past the kid seat. I'm not scared of bugs (thanks to my great Texan upbringing) but it startled me. I mentioned it to the checker (who I really think was lacking some mental capacity) and he just said, "Yeah, they like the carts." Without even looking at me or offering to get rid of it. At this point Isabelle is yelling, "BUG!!! BIG!!!" over and over again. I told her to just watch it until we got outside to get rid of it. She turned in her little seat and watched the bug maneuver his way around to the back of the basket. He was right on top, front and center. She was going crazy! It was hilarious. We had gotten the oil changed in the truck, so it wasn't a quick exit, we had to make our way back through the store. The entire ride, Isabelle continued to yell, "BUG!!! BIG!!!" and started adding other words to the situation, "Cart!" "Shopping!" "Whoa!" while facing the wrong direction in the seat. We made it outside and flicked him off the cart and continued our day.

We got home and she was still so excited about the bug we called grandma. I thought this would be the end of the experience minus some adventurous dinner conversation when Dad got home from work. HOWEVER......she still can't stop talking about the big bug shopping. Every time we drive by wal-mart she starts screaming again "SHOPPING!!! BIG BUG!!!!" Randomly she'll be playing with her dolls and start talking about the big bug shopping...it's so strange. We went back to wal-mart today and she kept looking for the bug. She was very disappointed when we didn't find one. "No big bug shopping." she said, very disappointed, as we got back in the car. Apparently she was quite moved by the praying mantis. Who'd have thought?

5 comments:

Glenene said...

I'm sure we can find Bug!! Big!! when you come!

Tara L. said...

That is too funny. Lindsay does the same thing. Over a month ago she found a bug in her bed. I got rid of it but she still tells people about the bug she found in her bed. Kids are so funny!

Momma Twitch said...

Holy cow, is Utah being taken over by those things? We saw 2 of them yesterday. One at Walmart on the cart and one on our screen door.

Austin Kinghorn said...

These posts absolutely brighten my day.

Meredith said...

So cute! I have to admit, I think praying mantises are so creepy. I hate they way they stare at you! Isabelle sounds like quite a character. We need to come visit so we can see her!