Friday, February 11, 2011

I love Southwest

So instead of one huge blog of my trip, I'm just going to do a few tidbits along the way. I flew to my parent's by myself with the kids hung out for a week, flew to Tampa, where I met up with Mike and his family for the cruise. Then Mike flew back to Spokane and I went to Houston to hang out a few more days and then flew back to Spokane with the kids.

I flew Southwest for this trip. Can I say how much I LOVE them?! Not only do you still get free bags, but with no seat assignments, a single mom with two kids will NEVER have to give up that third seat in a row unless it's the last seat on the plane (which none of the planes were full). I took a car seat to strap a child in. I was planning on switching the kids around as they wanted, but it was so much easier to strap Michael in. He ended up sleeping 2 of the 4 legs of flight (Each leg 2 1/2-3 hours long). It was still as adventuresome as traveling by myself with a 3 and 1 year old sound, but all things considering, it could have been WAY worse!

I thought for sure traveling as the single mom with two kids, I'd get lots of dirty looks,rude, irritated tired travelers, and very few offers for help. Not only was I wrong, but way wrong! I couldn't believe how many people offered to help. I never got on or off the plane completely by myself. Someone would carry a bag, or the car seat or even help Isabelle walk off. I got lots of "Wow you're brave" and "You've sure got your hands full" comments, but no one was rude even when my kids were less than well behaved.

The Spokane airport is so tiny that a TSA agent actually helped me through the security line. Granted I was one of 3 people going through at that time, but she helped get kids coats off, put stuff on the belt, etc. TSA agents are never nice, let alone helpful!

In the middle of one flight, Isabelle had to go to the bathroom and Michael was asleep...what to do? This was the moment I was not totally prepared for. I called for a flight attendant to ask how much longer until we landed and he offered to sit with Michael while I took Isabelle. Who knew? Flight attendants babysit on rare occasion!

Coming back, Mom helped me into the airport to get bags checked and the Southwest agent asked if Mom was assisting me to the gate. What? we both asked. She said with photo id, she'd print something for mom to help me to the gate. AWESOME!!!!! So then I had my mom to help me through the security lines in Houston which was a HUGE help! I was worried about that one. This was even more of a help when hanging out at the gate, letting kids run around and Isabelle looked at me with huge eyes needing a potty emergency. If I had to pack up kids and bags, I'd have had a disaster.

This trip brought back my faith in people. Despite the busy busy, dog-eat-dog world we live in, people are still nice to strangers. I also continue to believe when you prepare for a category 5 hurricane and it's only a category 3, you're pleasantly surprised!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

How great is that?! Glad it went well, I've never had those kinds of positive experiences, but none too bad either. Every time we drive through Baytown I think of you :-)

Sarah said...

I've never had a bad Southwest experience. :) So glad things went smoothly for you!

Jessie said...

I'm so glad that you had a great trip and that people were so helpful to you while you were traveling. When I traveled with Jane and Maren while Brad was at Basic Training I was so nervous. I couldn't believe how much people jumped in to help me. It was so awesome! Yeah for nice people...