Thursday, April 18, 2013

"Just like Mom"

Today I made meatloaf. It turned out perfect.  I have finally "arrived." We all know cooking is not my strong suit.  I have other redeeming qualities. :) My mother in law is a wonderful cook!  Everything she makes is delicious! We never go out, which means I literally cook 7 days a week, but you'd think I have hardly cooked a day in my life.  I always feel sorry for my husband going from her cooking to mine, (lucky for me there were a few years of him fending for himself in between). Anyway, this meatloaf has a funny story behind it I want to pass along. Years and years ago, I asked Mike's mom for her meatloaf recipe.  She read me her recipe card over the phone but threw in "some" and "a few" and "until it looks right" amounts and off I went.  It turned out awful.  Over the years I kept trying and it never turned out anywhere close! Mike kept accusing me of not following the recipe, even though I was perfectly following along.  So a couple of years or so ago, when she was visiting, I asked for a meatloaf demonstration....seriously, how hard is meatloaf?  It looked and tasted great, but I didn't compare it with my recipe. So with new hope, I tried and tried again.  NEVER turned out right still!  Finally a year ago, she was visiting and not only did I watch like a hawk, but I wrote down everything she actually did....um...nothing close to the recipe I had been trying to make all these years.  She's such a fabulous cook she can just throw things together and they always turn out fabulous!!  The first time I tried it, it was good and gradually I've been perfecting it.  It's finally up to snuff!!!  You know you have reached a good spot with the hub when you can recreate one of his favorite meals, "just like Mom."  It only took 9 1/2 YEARS!!!!!!  I can't help but laugh now every time I hear the word meatloaf. Oh so funny!

Now while making my meatloaf tonight, my back was to the fridge.  I kept hearing Michael getting water with cups in small amounts and was talking to him.  I even commented "Wow!  Thirsty boy!" and he said, "Yeah!" I felt like I was completely aware of the situation. Turns out in the 4 minutes it took to put together a meatloaf tonight, Michael created a slip and slide in my house.  We have a long tile hallway that goes from the master through the house to the complete other side.  It was covered in a thin layer of water and he had the biggest achievement smile on his face.  "Look at my slip n slide mom!" 7 towels later, my floor was mopped for the 2nd time today.  (Of course it was the day I ACTUALLY mopped my hallway!!!)   What a funny day! I wish I took a picture, instead words will have to do.

1 comment:

Emilee said...

For us "meatloaf" has an entirely different meaning. It refers to when I am being grumpy and irrational and nothing will make me happy. Darryl refers to this as the meatloaf mood. Its a reference to A Christmas Story where Randy is sulking and is pushing around his meatloaf and potatoes with his fork and saying "meatloaf, beetloaf I hate meatloaf."