Monday, July 23, 2012

My New Mottos

We've been busy and I have tons to blog and catch up about, but I'm working on a project and told myself I couldn't blog until it was done. I just had to write down a couple of thought's I've been having this last month.


My first new motto: "Someday"  
All day long in my head I think, "Someday....

  • my house will be clean
  • I will read a book for entertainment that is above a 10 year old reading level
  • all the organizing ideas in my head will get started
  • I will be able to go backwards in making my photo books for past years
  • every freshly cleaned surface or organized thing will stay that way for more than 10 minutes
  • etc... the end of that sentence gets ended in hundreds of ways.

This is ok for me.  I just keep reminding myself this phase of life is so temporary.  I look around my house completely appalled.  4 years ago this "will NEVER happen to me." hahahaha!  Oh the things you say before you know.

My second new motto: "Most of the Time...."

  • I read to my kids before bed
  • We have FHE
  • The dishes get done before bed
  • There is fewer than 3 loads of laundry to be done
  • I make it to the gym
  • I don't yell 
  • I eat and feed my family healthy foods
  • etc....the end of this sentence also gets ended in hundreds of ways.


This too is ok for me.  So often women feel we have to do everything all of the time, but first of all, it's not worth frieking out over perfection and the stress that goes along with it, and "most of the time" really is good enough.  I was stressing over not doing enough fun things with my kids often enough, but really?  Most of the time, we do have fun around here.  I was stressing about the state of our house, but most of the time 2 of the 3 bathrooms get cleaned weekly.  I was stressing about taking care of my body and feeling healthy and full of energy, but most of the time I'm eating right and exercising.

As I've taken on these two mottos, my house hasn't gotten cleaner and my kids haven't become more well behaved, but I'm happier. I feel so much less stress and therefore my family is happier.  I find myself saying, "Who cares?  and "Oh well."  It's just life.  My life right now are these cute little faces and if it means letting my house be a little messier than I like, so be it.  They are only little for such a short time, it's just simply not worth it.  And so, while there really is time in the day to do everything I'd like to if I really busted my butt and ran around like a crazy person, it's just not worth it.  Someday will come and that someday will involve not seeing these kiddos enough.  Most of the time will still be good memories for my kids.  And so I'm headed to bed a little later than I like, but most of the time, I'm in bed earlier. :)


Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Nicole said...

So well said. I wish my most of the time looked like yours! Such good things to remember. I have been pretty snappy at the kids lately. perhaps if I calmed down a little I wouldn't be so stressed (or if I could just have this baby)!

John said...

I love this, and I agree with everything you said.I suspect when the kids are grown and such, we'll still have to say the same things.

Glenene said...

Well said, Julie my dear!!!

Casey said...

Isabelle's hair looks darling!

The Sullengers said...

Exactly!!!! We do need to not be so harsh and just enjoy little moments!

Momma Twitch said...

You're the best mommy out there Julie! :)

Natalie said...

Thx for the reality check - you are so incredible Julie!!