Sunday, July 29, 2012

Grandma's House

My parents were at my mom's parents in Cache Valley while I was in Salt Lake.  I got to go visit them a couple of times.  The first Sunday I took the kids up by myself for the day after church.  I haven't been to my grandparent's house in 3 years and haven't seen them in almost 2.  I miss them.  We also all spent Friday night and left Saturday morning on our way home.

While there, I was absolutely nostalgic and overwhelmed with childhood memories.  We went to grandma and grandpa's for a week every summer growing up.  I had to share with my kids some of the magic of my own grandma's house.

This picture is actually at Mike's parent's house. I raided their raspberry bushes on a daily basis, but every time I did, as the berries melted in my mouth, I thought of all those Utah summers in Cache Valley at Grandma's.


We played with "the" dogs.


Listened to my Grandpa's stories and rhymes.  He has quite a memory and can recite just about anything.


This however was a new memory.  As all of Utah seemed to be on fire, there was a canyon fire just behind the house.  We watched a helicopter make trips dumping water.  The binoculars were a big hit.  We stood and watched forever.






The pork and beans on the stairs.  When we were little these foam pads were covered in pork and bean cans material.  They were dubbed "The pork and beans."  We had a blast on these things.  We did all sorts of catapulting, jumping etc.  But our favorite part was playing with them on the stairs.  All of our abuse, we wore that material right out.  Grandma has recovered them with vegetable material, but they are still the pork and beans.



Visiting on the lawn and on the front steps at night after the sun goes down watching the cars go by.


Willow Park Zoo.  My great-grandmother lived within walking distance when we were little and we would go take a stroll through the zoo. This is where I learned what a peacock says.  My dad can mimic it perfectly.


They just wander around.  This one got really close to Isabelle and she was shocked.  It was so cute.




What's a trip to Logan without Aggie Ice Cream?!  Always a fun tradition.


And who is that my grandma is talking to? Just L. TOM PERRY!  I was star struck!  We walked in behind him and Grandpa said that it was L. Tom Perry.  I actually didn't believe him.  And then he ordered his ice cream.  His voice is so unique.  Anyway, he's really tall and we tried to leave him alone.  I'm sure he just wanted to enjoy his ice cream with his wife (the dark hair lady next to him).


Luke had his first ice cream and loved it.  He kept reaching for more.



The final touch was squeeky cheese.  Good old Gosner's cheese curd from the factory.


It was great fun to share some of my favorite things with my kids.  It was wonderful to spend time with my grandparents and parents.  I will never forget watching Michael crawling around on the floor and he growled at my grandma.  She got down on her hands and knees and started chasing and growling back at him.  I love  it! My kids know my grandparents now and they are more than just a picture. It was fabulous wonderful much needed time with my family.  It's been too long.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jill said...

i LOVE the pictures you got of Grandpa with your kids. So cute! And that is hilarious that Grandma got down and played with Michael. And I love the picture of mom and dad with the kids eating ice cream. Grandma houses are the best. :)